Monday, August 31, 2015

Fitness Goals w/c 31/08/15

One thing I've really missed since April is being able to exercise and work out. I've gotten used to living a very active lifestyle with roller derby training for 6 hours most weeks, bouldering (climbing smaller heights but without a safety harness) for 2 hours a week and pole fitness for 1 hour a week plus a full time job, social life and other random adventures (including trying to do Insanity and T25 DVDs by the crazy fit Shaun T)! I'm not good at sitting still and resting in general, so I make a pretty terrible patient! One of the things I love about exercise is the way it lifts my mood and how pumped I feel afterwards. It improves both my physical and mental wellbeing as well as being a great way to meet new people and make friends. 

It's just coming up to 5 weeks post major surgery now and it's possibly a little early but I've decided it's about time I made myself some small fitness goals. I say goals as I appreciate that in very much feeling how I go and seeing how my body reacts to the slow introduction of exercise. I will listen to what it tells me and if anything pulls at my abdomen at all I will stop immediately. 

My goals are vey small to what I was capable of before, but I'm testing the water and am expecting some of these may be too hard while others not too much of a problem. I have very low energy levels so need to make sure o give myself 2 rest days a week to recover my energy and let my body heal. I don't want to push things too hard and burst something internally (hernias are really common with stomas in particular). I've decided to limit myself to 5 goals per week and I'll use this week as my baseline and adjust from there. 

1. Go to a swimming pool and attempt to walk (kind of bounce walk!) at least two breadths of the pool. The water will make a nice bit of resistance for me to push against whilst supporting my body. The biggest challenge here will be wearing a swimming costume or bikini in front of people with my stoma bag attached underneath...

2. Walk at least 1 mile on two separate occasions in the week. I aim to not do this on consecutive days. 

3. Try seated Pilates or very gentle Yoga and aim for one 10 minute session maximum of either. 

4. Try wall sits (photo below) and hold for a minimum of 20 seconds. Try and do this once a day for 5 days in the week with 2 rest days. 



5. Body weight squats (photo below). This is how I pick things up or lower myself to the ground anyway so I don't ever bend at the waist unless completely unavoidable. I've had to be very disciplined with this especially when it comes up picking up one of my 3 cats! My aim is to do 2 x sets 10 reps for 5 days of the week. Once in the morning and once in the evening. 


So wish me luck and let's see how it goes. I'll report back next Monday with a summary of what did and didn't work and a set of new goals which may very well be the same goals depending on how this week goes...! 

No comments:

Post a Comment