Friday, January 8, 2016

Post bowel surgery recovery

Recovering from surgery hasn't been easy so far, but things are just starting to settle and today I'm 10 days post op. My bowels started working again about 15 minutes after the NYE fireworks and have been all over the place since! I seem to have settled into a 3 day cycle for now.

Day 1 - explosive horrendous diarrhoea, no hope of achieving anything or being more than 10 steps away from the bathroom for 24hrs

Day 2 - churning and confusion over what exactly is going to happen when I go to the bathroom but I can get things done on this day

Day 3 - horribly constipated with painful trapped wind. If anything does make it out of my extremely bloated and sore belly I'm basically a biohazard and the room must be immediately evacuated for the sake of everyone else!!! 


This was taken a couple of days after surgery and was my first time seeing what it was going to look like. The corrugated plastic was poking out as a drain and was removed soon after and the bloating has slowly started to go down as my insides heal. The circle is from where my stoma bag was and is still evident at 10 days post op.


This is how my skin look today at 10 days post op. I had 3 stitches removed today but as its a little infected and weepy I have to leave the final 2 in until Monday or Tuesday. The new dressing is permeable so the wound can breathe now but stops anything getting into it and make it more infected. Having the stitches out feels so much more comfortable although I'm still not allowed to have w bath. All I want it to run a lovely hot bath, pop some bubbles and a bath bomb in and start letting my poor skin recover. I'm now not allowed to shower either doh. 


I think the surgeons have done a lovely neat job of seeing it up and it'll be quite a neat line with a teardrop shape at the bottom where the drain was. I'm still eating my stoma diet food while everything adjusts and being given the best at home cat doctoring treatment possible! 

On a side note about the cats, I had to rush back from being let out of hospita to Liverpool in time to take my beautiful cat Morgaine to the vets to be put to sleep. I really wanted one last night with her, but when I got back I had to do what was best for her and not be selfish. Rest in peace beautiful lady, I hope you find your brother Merlin to play with xxx 

No comments:

Post a Comment